Friday, August 15, 2008

Tropic Thunder- Don't see it

Tropic Thunder is a movie coming out with Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. A movie Ben and I would have watched If Renee over at My Special K's hadn't posted about it. Renee explains it a hundred times better than I ever could. In her post that's linked above and in this link called, Why it hurts. I know some of you don't like to click on links but please do you won't be sorry and I guarantee you'll come out of it more informed. I hope Dreamworks realizes they have crossed the line.

Here are some lines from the movie-

The actor character played by Ben Stiller, Tugg Speedman, has key scenes in the movie which recreate a character he has played called Simple Jack. Jack is a ‘retard’. This element of the movie gives rise to a slew of objectionable phrases slanted directly at the disabled. Take the following, a conversation between Downey Jr’s character and Stiller’s, revolving around Stiller’s decision to play said ‘retard’:

Stiller: There were times when I was doing Jack when I actually felt retarded. Like really retarded.

Downey: Oh yeah. Damn.

Stiller: In a weird way, I had to sort of just free myself up to believe that it was okay to be stupid or dumb.

Downey: To be a moron.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: To be moronical.

Stiller: Exactly.

Downey: An imbecile.

Stiller: Yeah. When I was playing a character.

Downey: When you was a character.

Stiller: Yeah, I mean, as Jack. Definitely.

Downey: It’s like working with mercury. It’s how science makes art form.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: You an artist.

Stiller: It’s what we do, right?

Downey: Everybody knows you never do a full retard.

Stiller: What do you mean?

Downey: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, Rainman, look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic. Sure. Not retarded.

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.

----

you can now get a shirt that says, 'Never go full retard'. :( that's horrible. go read.

1 comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thanks so much for posting about this and getting the word out!